St. Andrews on the Red
St. Andrews, Manitoba
St. Andrew's on The Red is the oldest stone church in Western Canada. Built in 1849, the church is a designated national historic site and a landmark on the historic River Road Drive.
Repairs due to the settlement of the limestone foundation required significant intervention to prevent further deformation of the walls and bell tower. A pile and continuous pile cap foundation with the insertion of reinforcing steel in the masonry walls was applied to stabilize the structure. Sensitivity to a fragile structure was key in placing the new foundations. The work also included restoration of the bell tower and the addition of washroom and mechanical facilities.